Biology is a fascinating subject - it is literally the study of all living things - pretty cool, huh?
Here are some things you should know about Biology 20 to help you be successful:
1) There is a lot of content in this class, and we will be moving pretty quickly. Try your very best to stay on top of things - it is much easier to keep up than it is to catch up!
2) Do your homework and assignments ON TIME. All of your readings, homework assignments, and other projects are designed to help you learn and practice specific concepts, terms, and ideas. They are not just "make-work," I have created them and assigned them to you at this particular time so that you can learn and practice these things at the right time, so that the next concepts, terms, and ideas make sense. If you skip homework or do assignments late, then you simply will not learn the content as well, and your marks will likely reflect that.
3) Ask for help when you need it! Needing help is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of self-awareness which is a really important thing to develop. I cannot read your mind, so I won't know what you need help with unless you let me know.
4) Don't give up! I find that the main thing that separates students who do well in high school, from those who do poorly, is NOT "being smart" - it's perseverance (sticking to it, even when it's difficult). Learning new things can be difficult, but you can do it - sometimes it takes several tries!
5) Work on becoming an independent learner and taking responsibility for your own success. High school means increased responsibility for your own learning. Your teachers and parents and other adults in your life are here to support you, but ultimately it is YOU who must decide if you want to be successful.
Another tip I can offer is to stay up to date - you should check this blog and our course calendar regularly, and I strongly suggest that you sign up for Remind, to get the latest reminders on the go!
Sign up for Remind
Students and their parents (and other caregivers of course) are encouraged to sign up for Remind, which is a service that allows me to send mass text (or email) messages to my students, all without sharing personal phone numbers or email addresses.
To sign up:
Option 1: Click on the link for your course below to sign up for texts or emails
Bio 20: https://www.remind.com/join/mishbio20
Option 2: Sign up by Text
Send a text with the course code @mishbio20 to this number (902) 701-9279 and then follow instructions
Option 3: Sign up by Email
Send an email to this address from the email account you would like to add to the list.
Bio 20: firstname.lastname@example.org