I will be using this blog throughout the semester to provide updates on the class, and to post links, documents, and other resources in a way that is easy to find.
First Day Activities:
1) Sign up for Class Messenger - this is how I will send reminders to you about homework, deadlines, upcoming tests, and anything else you need to know. Your parent or guardian is also welcome to sign up to received these messages.
You can use any 1 of the 3 methods below (link, text, or email) to sign up. Make sure you sign up for the right class, or the reminders will not be helpful!!!
Computer Science 20:
Link: click here to sign up http://cmsngr.co/Z9EXRAGLDM
Text: send message 44KE7J to this number: (650) 252-1369
Email: send a blank email to 44KE7J@signup.classmessenger.com
Computer Science 30:
Link: click here to sign up http://cmsngr.co/6RMW5X3FCY
Text: send message LZDV9C to this number: (650) 252-1369
Email: send a blank email to LZDV9C@signup.classmessenger.com
2) Complete this get to know you survey
3) Make a Shortcut to the Mishra Network Folder!
Your first task for today is to find the Mishra folder on the network drive, and make a shortcut to it in your H drive. I will demonstrate how to do this, but in case you missed (or forgot) the instructions, here they are again:
1) Click on the "start" button (it's a circle with the windows logo) on the bottom left of your screen
2) In the search bar right about the start button, type the following, then hit enter: \\xshe\Assignments\Mishra
3) Click on the folder that appears in the results
4) A new window should open, with 2 folders in it (CompSci Hand In and CompSci Hand Out) - this means you are in the right folder! To create a shortcut, click on the folder icon from the top of that window (next to the arrow buttons), and DRAG it onto the "desktop" logo in the list below (or onto your desktop surface if you can see it).
5) Go to your desktop to see if the "Mishra - shortcut" folder has been created there.
6) Now, using the explorer window, find your H drive (it will have your name on it), and drag your shortcut into your H drive. This will allow you to access this shortcut form any school computer.
6) Raise your hand to show that you're done, and I will come and check to make sure it's done correctly.
4) Scavenger Hunt (First written assignment)
Next, you will have to complete the following scavenger hunt, by exploring the Hand Out folder and then hand in your completed scavenger hunt to the Hand In folder.
Click below to download the scavenger hunt file.
Make sure to follow the instructions (including on how to hand it in) VERY CAREFULLY! This will help to ensure that you know exactly how to hand things in in future, so that you get the marks you deserve!
Watch one (or more) of these videos:
Mark Zukerberg on the importance of learning to code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABw4yPFbEjg (1:30 min)
US President Obama asks young people to learn computer science:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XvmhE1J9PY (1 min)
An overview of computer programming in 5 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScm9avQM1Y (5 min)